Letting Go of Guilt and Shame

I frequently get struck by feelings of guilt and shame from events that occurred long ago going back to early childhood.  There is no rational reason to have these negative feelings.   They do not make my life better in any way, shape or form.  Undoubtedly a lot of this baggage has to do with family of origin issues.  While never starved for food, there was definitely some serious emotional neglect by my parents (who presumably did the best they could with what they had).

I was overly optimistic that working on my 4th step would be pretty easy and not too emotionally loaded.  Usually I do 3 questions per writing session.  The first question tonight was on issues of guilt and shame.  I acknowledged having major issues with this, gave and example and stopped writing.   I left room to add more examples as they occur to me.  My brain went into shutdown/balk mode and was not going to process the usual suspects on demand.  I have no doubt they will come to me.  Best case would be if they never haunted me again.

I am grateful for the progress I have made and will make on letting go the feelings of guilt and shame that haunt me from minor faux pas and larger mistakes from my past.



No comments:

Post a Comment