Thoughts and Feelings Are Not Facts



Had a rough week with crazy thoughts and negative feelings getting the best of my thinking for the last week.  Fortunately I am now wise enough with virtue (actually doing the right thing instead of simply knowing the right thing while not doing it) to keep me from acting out in self-destructive ways to change the way I feel.

When AA was young, psychologists and doctors studied a group of problem drinkers trying to find out what so-called problem drinkers had in common.  They concluded that alcoholics were “still childish, emotionally sensitive and grandiose.  How we alcoholics did resent that verdict!”

I am still emotionally sensitive.  Now I am also much less childish and grandiose.   That is great progress.


I am grateful for the progress I have made in my recovery so that I don’t have to react to every thought and feeling as if it were a fact had to be proven or disputed.  They are just thoughts and feelings that go away faster when I don’t get stuck obsessing on them.

1 comment:

  1. Listen to me you are doing very well in your daily recovery, you try so dadblasted hard, you go to meetings, you listen and help others..You are doing well..I pray for you and my bil who lives with an abusive woman just so he can have someone around he has ptsd and should not be keeping company with such a woman but he is so lonely..He used to drink now if he did he would kill himself with all the prescriptions he must take just to live so he doesn't but the living with a person who is so mean and hateful is nearly destroying him, we are planning an intervention to get rid of the woman and he will be in another place and safe, men are victims of domestic violence too, most people don't realize it..Happy Passover and Happy Easter share it with Lea the lady you reside with and enjoy yourself, JUST KICK THOSE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS TO THE CURB..you are better than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ciao!

    ReplyDelete