Prayer and Meditation

I would frequently pray when young.  So-called foxhole prayers for god to get me out of some trouble or another that I was going to be in when my father got home in a day or two.   That never worked.

In recovery, I have learned how to use prayer and meditation for a similar effect as positive thinking, visualization or self-hypnosis.  That works a lot better than focusing on the negative with my magic magnifying mind.

I read AA’s 11th step prayer aka the prayer of St Francis of Assisi (undoubtedly not his work).

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace!
That where there is hatred, I may bring love.
That where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness.
That where there is discord, I may bring harmony.
That where there is error, I may bring truth.
That where there is doubt, I may bring faith.
That where there is despair, I may bring hope.
That where there are shadows, I may bring light.
That where there is sadness, I may bring joy.
Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort, than to be comforted.
To understand, than to be understood.
To love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life.

Then I talked about my insane alcoholic thinking that makes smoking crack seem like an attractive idea no matter how self-destructive it actually is.  It was a good meeting.   I felt better.



I am grateful for what skills in prayer and meditation that I do have today.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Passover and keep up the good fight, I read your blog daily & know you will succeed! The prayer is wonderful it is just great..You will do just fine..Enjoy the weather and your friends and keep going to the AA meetings and busy too..you will be doing great God's Blessings! Ciao!

    ReplyDelete