a sunny Black Friday

Today was Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year in the US. Allegedly, Black Friday is the day that merchants become profitable (in the black) for the year. Every year, the merchants creep the starting time forward a few hours. It used to be 8 AM, then 6, then midnight. Now some stores open at 10 PM on Thanksgiving Day.

I don’t understand the attraction to Black Friday shopping. Maybe if I viewed shopping as a competitive sport it would make sense. I have yet to see a deal on Black Friday that was not available on December 24th at the same or lower price. One and only one big TV for $20 in a big box store is not a deal, it is a lottery.

The good news nobody was killed in a stampede this year. One lady tear-gassed 20 other shoppers at an LA Walmart so she could buy some game for a few bucks cheaper. I hope she gets prison time for assault with chemical weapons by a terrorist. Tear-gassing people because they are near you needs to be stopped now—whether by crazed shoppers or power-mad campus security guards.

I am grateful to have all I need by way of material possessions. Of course, I will need more food and supplies over time. As far as my need for durable goods goes, I have all I need. Don’t get me wrong, I am still buying nearly useless small items from Amazon Prime (I didn’t need a brushed metal kitchen string dispenser for $10, but I will have one on Tuesday!), but that is the antithesis of competitive shopping.

Today was good day. Sandy and I had lunch at the Olive Garden in Kirkland for a change of pace since she had Friday off. We nearly always meet in Bellevue since she works here and I live here.

I am grateful for good friends, sunny days in late November, not having to participate in competitive shopping and a great college football game between #1 LSU and # Arkansas.

* Also, this is my 259th post for the year. One post and I will have reached my commitment of 260 gratitude blog posts for the year—getting things done early is a whole new way of living for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment