looking forward to a nice Thanksgiving week with friends

I usually anticipate holidays with an attitude somewhere between mehh and I wish is was next week already. This year, I am pleased to discover that I am looking forward to the week of Thanksgiving.

Having healthy planned activities helps a lot. I have activities with friends planned for everyday this week. That is much more social and organized than past behavior. Wednesday’s activity is a ‘maybe’. I am sure to follow through with the rest of my plans.

The District 34 Gratitude Dinner is my favorite holiday event of the year. It is a slightly upscale pot-luck dinner at a local community center. It is the closest thing I have to an extended family holiday meal with my recovery elders, cousins, nieces and nephews. A large noisy crowded room cuts into my ability to communicate with others due to my tinnitus and mobility issues. Nonetheless, I like to sit with friends and watch all the happiness & joy bustling happening around me as if at a party for the survivors of the titanic disaster. We have survived and flourished for another year.

I am grateful for all the progress I have achieved through diligent consistent hard work on my recovery. I am lucky to have been able to stay-the-course this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment