Visiting others on a gorgeous day

I have a former relative from a divorce that lives on a fixed income in subsidized housing. About once a month, we go out for lunch. Today we went to his favorite fish-n-chips place. They have 8 kinds of deep fried seafood there. It was good.

After a sight-seeing drive through the U-district on the way home, I got an emissions test on my car so I can renew my tabs. My timing worked well since I only had to wait for one car in front of me. The tech was not a car buff—he thought my car was front-wheel drive even though it has a big giant 'transmission hump' going down the middle of the interior that he could easily see. Once we got that sorted out, things went pretty smoothly and my car passed the test.

After almost 40 years, Washington State is phasing out emissions testing. That might have been my last emissions test. Emissions testing was a successful program that is going away due to its own success. Cars emit a small fraction of the pollution they used to emit 40 years ago. Unleaded gasoline cut down on lead pollution in a big way.

Later, I visited my mother at a really nice assisted living facility. Conversations with her can be a challenge for me. Today a talented older musician played folk music for an hour. We sat together and listened to the music. That worked well.

I carry a small camera with me all the time. I took some pictures of my mother and Sukie the marketing person where my mother lives. I put my camera away a bit haphazardly after that. When I was getting into my car I dropped it without noticing. When I got home 15 minutes later, there was a vmail letting me know that the staff where my mother lived found my camera and set it aside for me. That was lucky and very thoughtful of them.

It was a gorgeous warm August day in Seattle. Driving around with the windows down is my favorite way to drive.

I am grateful for a gorgeous day with pleasant interactions with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment