My iGoogle home page

I love the WWW. It is a huge part of the quality of my life. I have used Google as my primary search engine for at least a decade. Word is that Bing might be better than Google now. I love the competition to see who can deliver better results at no cost to me.

My home page is http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en&source=mpes. I have a bunch of 'gadgets' setup so that I can read the 3 top headlines from a wide variety of news agencies every time I open my web browser of choice—currently about 80/20 Chrome over Firefox.

My favorite browser used to be Firefox hands-down for 6-8 years. This year, Mozilla, the group that manages Firefox has gone crazy and made Firefox worse with a slower boot time and rapid version upgrades that kill the FF add-ons. Meanwhile, Chrome got faster and better.

Either way, I have the same home page at iGoogle on both browsers. It is great having some many different news sources. It is a bit like reading summaries from half the articles in the Economist with a bunch of other cool and/or interesting tech stuff from Wired, Slashdot and others.

I loved my iGoogle home page since it first came out in 2005 as Google Personalized Homepage. It is the most popular webpage in the USA, Iran, South Korea and Bangladesh and in the top 5 for 30+ other countries from Australia to Venezuela.

I have tried using RSS readers. For me, RSS readers are like trying to drink from a firehouse. I get a little compulsive about having to read all the articles and there are just too many new articles to read every day.

I am grateful to have a wide collection of news sources that I like located all on one page.

No comments:

Post a Comment