sandwiches

Made a sandwich for lunch today with thin-sliced turkey, cheddar cheese, Dijon mustard and mayo on toasted wheat bread. I rarely make a classic two slices of bread sandwich. It was good. That got me thinking about some of my all-time favorite sandwiches.

My first great sandwich memory was a foreign adventure. When I was 14, my brother and sister Valerie went skiing in Europe for an Xmas vacation. On the way home, I had a croque monsieur (French for toasted ham & cheese sandwich) with Dijon mustard at the Paris Orly airport. That was my first experience with Dijon mustard and the beginning of a life-long love affair with spicy mustards.

Another great sandwich memory is after spending 3 months in the hospital in 1981, I got a day pass for an afternoon to my parents house. The first thing I did was make my own sandwich with lots of mayo and mustard. It was your basic ham & cheese with lettuce sandwich. It felt great to make a sandwich exactly how I liked it for the first time in three months. Hospital food had lost its luster months before I got to make that sandwich.

I am grateful to have the resources (bread, meat, cheese, condiments, toaster, knife, plate) to make a nutritious delicious sandwich on a whim.

No comments:

Post a Comment