being in the moment

I served as guest secretary at a speaker meeting tonight since the regular person went a conference at Ocean Shores for the weekend. There were 12 people at the meeting of which 7 were there as a result of my efforts to drum-up some support for the speakers Anna and Gary.

Gary did a very good job in his first experience being a speaker at a 30 minute speaker meeting. It went well and was nice to remember what it was like before recovery. With just over 2 years in recovery, he has an excellent recollection of how crazy it used to be.

Anna was doing well enough and her time was running short when she started talking about being 'healed' at a tent revival. That was an intense story of love, rage, confusion and a happy ending.

There was progress for me in that meeting being 'enough'. Before recovery, I would get separated from being in the present moment by worrying about things that I could not control such as what the speakers thought about the low turnout or what the audience thought of the speakers that I lined up. Tonight I got to just do my part as secretary and be in the moment while listening to Gary and Anna share their experience, strength and hope.

I am grateful for my progress towards 'living in the present moment' on a much more consistent basis. Now I actually get to spend time living in the present instead of rushing by it on my mental/emotional trips to the past and future.

No comments:

Post a Comment