Lots of Rain


Seattle rain set a new record for this date (12/7) with .97 inches of rain beating the old record of .88 inches in 1968.  It has been a wet start to December with the average first week of rain being 1.35” and we have had 3.2”.   A couple more inches are predicted in the next two days.  Our weather is wonderfully mild.  5 inches of rain in 10 days is a mild fraction of the impact that other places can get in a few hours or a day.  

I don’t like going out in the rain, but it is okay to drive in and we don’t have flash floods.   There will be some flooding and landslides.   Not living at the bottom of the valleys nor on a steep hill easily avoids those problems for most of others.  Others chose less wisely and have real problems.  Federal flood insurance ensures the same problem keeps happening over and over again.

I have lived in a desert before.   It was creepy not having rain.   It was simple math since before the first dam that California would have water shortages.   I knew I would never live in a place without precipitation.  I love fresh clean soft (not mineralized) water way too much.

I am grateful for fresh clean water.  Let it rain! 

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying watching your rain from Tucson, where what I most enjoy are the beautiful sunsets.

    ReplyDelete