Better Disagreement Skills

Got into an instant spat with my roommate this morning.   I was again annoyed by her making a commitment to do something and then failing to meet that commitment for days.  She asked what I was thinking about.  I expressed frustration in a polite way.   Her defensive response was to posture-up and leave the room muttering crap under her breathe.

In the past, conflicts with roommates would need to be solved ASAP in a single discussion.  Another good theory that never worked in practice…   Instead  I declined to spend my morning with her, made some phone calls and meet with a recovery friend for step work this afternoon.

While my roommate did not say much when she got home, her body language expressed chagrin and she completed a part of her previous commitment.   We still have a bunch to work out, but we did not use, break anything nor abuse each other verbally.   No major amends need be made nor did we spend the day in active resentment.

I am grateful for better skills and much more patience in resolving conflicts.




No comments:

Post a Comment