Long term relationships


The UW Huskies are playing Boise State in the Maaco/Las Vegas Bowl today.  I am going to Auburn to watch it with Bob, Ted and George.  I have known Bob since I was 5 years old.  That is by far the longest relationship with a friend in my life.  George has been a great friend to me since I was paralyzed 31 years ago.  He flew down to Santa Barbara to attend my graduation at UC Santa Barbara in 1988.

Bob found out this week that he has stage 4 melanoma requiring chemotherapy for the next year.  It will be good to see him before the chemo kicks in.

In my past, I was full of self-pity and had the mindset of being a victim.  I refuse to be a victim anymore.   I have experienced a lot of emotional pain, physical pain and loss.  It can be confusing for me now when I feel pain as to whether it is self-pity or pain/grief/loss that needs to be processed.  I don't really know how to tell the difference. I do know that if I get stuck in it for too long, that is clearly self-pity.

My friend Angie was homeless a year ago.  Since then, she has had a studio in Belltown provided by Catholic Community Services.  She won a housing lottery which will pay up to $1200 for rent anywhere in the greater Seattle area.    She found a house in Federal Way last week and moved in yesterday. Her daughter and grandson are going to live with her.  Sleep Time donated and delivered a full-size and queen-size for her daughter and her grandson.  Angie's father bought her a full-size bed for Angie.  She loves her new beds, and is both proud of and grateful for her new home.   Kudos to Sleep Time for their generous contribution to helping Angie and her family create a home for themselves.  Angie cried tears of joy last night.  What a great Xmas gift. 
 

2 comments:

  1. A fellow UCSB alumnus! I don't remember knowing that. I was 1970.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went from 1983 to '88. Santa Barbara was paradise for a guy in a wheelchair--flat, warm and dry. I remember your talking of being an English major at UCSB. I almost graduated with a BS in Chemical Engineering. I was only one biomedical engineering class short of having a degree (sound like any of a 1000 people you know that don't quite finish things?). In my case I would have lost a lifetime medical and pension for having been "vocationally rehabilitated".

    ReplyDelete