A Power Greater Than Myself

I get paid on the 3rd and 15th of each month.  The 15th falls on a Saturday this month, so I got paid on Friday the 14th.  I had paid the credit card bill linked to my new checking account at US Bank by 6 AM as a safety precaution to avoid spending all my money smoking crack.   I still had enough money to go on a binge of addiction and could not stop thinking about using throughout the day.

I made phone calls to friends in the program and went to two meetings tonight.  I heard enough and spent enough time at the Alano Club of the Eastside to stay sober one more day.  My own best thinking would have had me broke and depressed by now.  It was the first time I had been to the Alano Club this year.  It is  located 10 blocks due north of my apartment and is about 5 minute drive door-to-door.  I will go there more often in the future.

My addiction is cunning, baffling and powerful.  It spent the day trying to persuade that smoking crack would be an entertaining way to spend the day and that the consequences would have little downside.  The reality is that I have a fatal progressive disease.  It has been since last March that I had 26 days of sobriety.

It is 2 AM Saturday morning, that makes 27 days now.  I am grateful for my continuous sobriety.  It took a power greater than myself to keep me sober today.  Now I will go to bed, read my Kindle and get some sleep.  When I wake up I will focus on staying sober, once again, one day at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Art says, "We've been doing meditation in the morning, and we're trying to get the brain thinking in a different pattern. And one of the ways is to think about things positive, so I can grow towards those rather than growing toward the negative. And this has been helping me lately."

    Linda says, "Welcome back."

    ReplyDelete