Helping Ludy

Ludy is a friend of a friend that needed help with a cover letter and resume. You know someone is desperate for help when to they go to the guy that went 19 years without a job for help apply for jobs!

Ludy was a nice lady that came from Ukraine when she was 40. Her English is obviously ESL, but pretty good with an easily understood Russian-like accent. She was applying for jobs on Craigslist doing short-term food service jobs such as cooking food sample demonstrations in grocery stores.

I am sure a great writer could custom tailor a cover letter and resume for each CL job. That is not my method. My technique is to create several versions of cover letters and resumes, and then use numerical superiority to send out as many job applications as possible. That cuts down on the feeling of rejection and yields a sense of achievement for at least having sent out a bunch of resumes. Obviously the goal is to get jobs, not send out resumes.

My understanding of the low-skill job market is that there is a glut on the market of underemployed and unemployed workers. Those two [lack of] employment conditions combined are estimated to range from 16% to 20% of the workforce. I am glad I am not trying to get a job now. The competition is ferocious.

One thing working with Ludy made clear is that my computer skill level is much greater than what I give myself credit for. I guess I most have learned something in the two Microsoft Certification programs and the AA in Database Admin courses that I took—along with having a computer for the last 25 years.

I don't have the skills and/or experience to get a good computer techie job. I do have plenty of skills to use Google to pull up examples of cover letters and resumes.

I am grateful to have the skills to be able to help others use computers and for my technical literacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment