being happier [aka increased well-being?]

I have been blogging away about gratitude for nine months now. Daily focus on gratitude has changed my brain and how I feel for the better. The change in thoughts between what it was like 13 years ago, what it is like now, and reading about neuroplasticity have me firmly convinced that our brains can be changed with diligent practice. This change is much like changing our fitness through exercise. It works if you work it.

Having a bit of a writer's block in getting the words to flow tonight about existential changes in my thoughts and life. I will post a few words about having a good day today and be grateful for that. Made a tasty ham. turkey, lettuce & cheese sandwich on wheat-berry bread for lunch today. It was good.

I met with Charlie for a couple hours at the Mall after lunch. We talked about neuroplasticity and then inexplicable (to us) right-wing politics. Charlie kinda ranted on their crazy self-destructive actions (Charlie is a calm person so it was not much of a rant compared to what a real rager could do). I asked him if he thought it was counter-productive to believe in neuroplasticity and rant about others. He visibly deflated acknowledging the point. Then we talked about e-technology. (We need a good term encompassing PCs, tablets, smart phones, Kindles, etc, I will go with e-tech.)

We read a half-dozen pages on gratitude and well-being. Talking about what we read was reassuring that our lives are going well for us. Charlie headed for the used bookstore and I went across the parking lot to see my mother.

My sister and I are seeking to have our mother's estate placed in guardianship by a professional guardianship service. Our mother is convinced that we are trying to steal her money through legal means. Conversations with my mother can be surreal when discussing the guardianship process. Dying of dementia in a state-run senior care facility is not the way to go. It would not be nearly as plush as the corner 1-bedroom apartment in the assisted living facility that our mother lives in now. Our mother may be coming to terms with the fact that we are trying to help and protect her. Angry and hostile are two of mother's basic moods. I don't expect her to acknowledge gratitude for the help and support in this life.

I went through Joanne's Fabrics on the way back to my car to get something to hang the colorful wool blanket I bought last week on the wall. They were having a 40% off sale. I got a stylized curtain rod and spring-clip hangers. My friend Alma might help me install the rod & blanket tomorrow. She came by today to say hi and said she would come over tomorrow.

I am grateful for a warm sunny day with pleasant activities that went well today.

No comments:

Post a Comment