District Meetings

I have been going to the local 12-step District Meetings (DMs) for the last 11 years as a way giving back what was so freely given to me. That is also known as doing service work or in more general terms volunteering.

When I started attending the DMs, there were six of us at the meetings. We did not get a lot down that first year. We did not even have a Gratitude Dinner that year. Since then, I have reserved a community center every year on February 1st for a November Gratitude Dinner. I have never served as chair of the Gratitude Dinner, others have always done a great job of organizing the dinner setup, food and cleanup.

Since 2000, the DM has grown from 6 to 25ish people at the meetings. Most of the standing service committees are chaired with active volunteers. Terms of service are two year commitments. Since initially attending the DM as General Service Representative (GSR) I have chaired three committees, served as treasurer, (note-taking) secretary, and twice as Intergroup Liaison.

Most people come and go as GSRs. A few stick around to serve as committee chairs. Typically someone with my experience would move on to the Area level of Western Washington. I don't see an need to drive a hundred miles when there is an unmet need to help carry the message at local schools, libraries, charities, businesses, etc.

Tonight was our June DM. We are going to celebrate 20 years as a District in August at a picnic with the local intergroup. The previous District was split into five new Districts 20 years ago in an effort to keep the Districts down to a more manageable size. For our part at the picnic, we will give out free beverages while thanking members for their support.

My next project is to print off thousands of 2" x 8.5" bookmarkers printed with contact information on them to be given out at all 42 libraries in King County. We have to create a bundle for each library and then drop them all off at the KCLS distribution center. It will take two stops to pass out thousands of pieces of literature throughout the county. I am optimistic that this will work well.

I love the laughter and enthusiastic argy-bargy of our District meetings. We are doing a good job of trying to carry the message to our local community.

I am grateful for my 12-step program and the fellowship I have experienced along the way. It is the most important part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment