Methadone Clinic: Day 1


I have been helping a heroin addict transition to using methadone and giving up heroin.  After getting an evaluation yesterday, Lea was approved for methadone treatment.  Today was her  first day at the Theraputic Health Services (THS) clinic in Bellevue for methadone.

Watching the traffic through the clinic door while sitting in my car in the parking lot, I am guessing THS served methadone to 100+ people while I waited.  It might well be a total of  200-300 addicts each day since they serve from 8:30 to 11:30 and I was only there for 1.5 hours. 

Most people were in and out in 5-10 minutes.  Lea took much longer her on first day since THS required a urine sample and she had peed right before the short drive to the clinic.  Addicts in active addiction have a terribly difficult time hearing, remembering and following directions.  I am sure they told her not 24 hours ago that she would need to give a urine sample.  Hopefully she will do better in the future.

The effects of using heroin must provide a powerful high.  The addiction is pure slavery for having to do whatever it takes to get more heroin every day or be dope-sick from the withdrawals.  There is no time off for holidays, birthdays or sick days.  It is not the drug for me.  I am too lazy to have to hustle money for drugs every damned day.

I am grateful I am not a heroin addict and also that addicts such as Lea have free access to social services to help treat and mitigate their heroin addiction.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks you for mentioning our web site wwww.warrawonglodge.com for our B&B Warrawong Lodge.

    I wish you would go back to writing a daily blog entry.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete