Letting Go of Resentments, Forgiveness and Whopping Lies


I am working closely with a friend in active heroin addiction that is trying to quit by getting on a methadone treatment program.  She claims to have used since she was 7 years old except for the occasional clean time stint in jail.  Lea nice enough person and she is both willing and working very hard at changing her life.

For practical purposes, it is physically impossible for her to own up to her mistakes.  The toilet in the guest bathroom was deemed non-functioning last night after plunged and flushed it a dozen times last night.   This afternoon, I went work on it some more.  The formerly clear water was brown and the immediately toilet overflowed.  Obviously it had been pooped in.  There were only two of us here and I never use that bathroom.  She denied having used it and flew into a rage as if that would make her more clearly innocent.  It didn’t.  I did not even say a word to her besides let me out of the bathroom when she stood there blocking the door.

The blatant lies are more annoying than the questionable actions and behaviors.  I can chalk up most of the behaviors to either not knowing better, poor impulse control or a lack of respect for property and people.  Most likely it is some combination of all three in any given not-responsible situation.   Lying about not having done something when clearly busted for said action baffles and/or confuses me.  She is not so delusional that she remembers an alternate reality.   My guess is that denying socially unacceptable behaviors is a way of avoiding responsibility for our lives and remaining a victim laden with self-pity.

The maintance guy is here now.  I just talked with my sponsee who ‘fessed up to having a tryst with a married woman.  This morning’s Alanon meeting was on forgiveness. I did my Gratitude blog writing.  Lea went for a walk.  I can focus on the bigger picture of excellent progress t improving our lives instead of being stuck on this short-lived element of negativity.

I am grateful for more mature and better tools that get me through short term aggravations while remaining focused on the long term goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment