Having Wisdom vs Knowledge


I had a wonderful education learning lots of science, engineering, math, history and economics.  There was a lot of knowledge in my head, but very little wisdom.  I clearly lacked enough wisdom to live a practical sustainable life.

Thanks to the miracle of recovery and 12-step programs, I have considerably more wisdom today than ever before (which does not necessarily mean a lot of wisdom—just more than before).

For example, yesterday a man shared at a meeting how he had relapsed a month ago and had not told his sponsor.  I explained to him he had a choice between calling his sponsor or relapsing again (guess where I got this wisdom???) and that I would go outside with him while he called his sponsor.  He did call his sponsor to tell him about his relapse.  Now he has a chance at staying sober without a premeditated relapse lying in wait for him.

Another guy wanted to go to detox.  Took him to Harborview ER and told him to let them know he was suicidal (which he was based on the references to a gun and stepping in front of a bus).  He told the intake people he was not suicidal.  No detox. 

I was 38 when I checked into the psych ward at Harborview.  This guy is 38.  That was a flashback for me on the drive home.  I have made a lot of progress since then.

I am grateful for the wisdom and knowledge I have learned in my life in recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment