Improved Cancer Treatments


Bob and George have been my two biggest supporters since I was paralyzed almost 32 years ago.   I have known Bob since I was 5 years old.

They were both diagnosed with cancer in the last few months.  Bob has melanoma and had a large tumor removed from his abdomen that turned about to be benign Schwann cells.  George has early stage prostate cancer. 

Bob had 3 surgeries to cut most of the cancer out  over the course of 3 months.  Last week, he started his first of 8 chemo treatments over the next 18 months.  He got into a research study using the latest in anti-cancer medication with negligible side effects after the first treatment.  He is doing well.

George has never been seriously ill in his life.  He is way over-thinking the problem, but has certainly learned a lot of cancer in the last few months.  The back-lab pathologist was puzzled when George came to see her after his biopsy.  She had rarely (never?) talked directly with a patient before in her 20 years as a pathologist.  He has always lived an extremely healthy lifestyle and is an atheist—he would be made at god if he believed there was one.

George talks about this changing his life.  I encourage him to study mindfulness-based stress reduction.  The stress is going to be harder on him than the cancer.  He will likely be cured of his early stage cancer in the next few months.

The both have a macabre sense of humor.  Knowing that laughter is great medicine, I question their lifestyles pointing out that when I was a child my father made me: use mercury for mold treat; asbestos for insulation; DDT for flies; and spray thousands of gallons of Agent Orange on the blackberries every summer.  Trust me, it is funnier on the phone than in print.

I am grateful for relatively early diagnosis of my friend’s cancer, relatively low-impact cures and for their love and support.  It feels good to support them in their time of FUD.  They will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment