not having a power outage after a snow/ice storm

When I was a kid, we were the last house on a rural power supply on power poles. This meant we had a power outage from nearly every large storm. Usually the power was back on in a couple of hours and almost always in a day or less. One year, a snow and ice storm knocked out the power for 5 days. That was a bit chilly but not too bad since we had a fireplace, a forest and a chainsaw along with a campstove and lanterns. Plus, we had a large indoor swimming pool connected to the house by a common wall and doorway that was like a giant heat source.

In my Bellevue apartment, electric power is my only source of heat and I would not do well in anything below 60 degrees. As I have already mentioned several times in my gratitude blog earlier this week, I am blessed to be on the Overlake Hospital power grid. My power has not gone out at all.

Around Puget Sound, hundreds of thousands of people have lost power. Many will be without power for a couple of days. It is a miserable time for the Puget Sound Energy (PSE) crews to be trying to restore power while trees are continually falling on the power cables due to being overburdened with frozen snow & ice on their branches. Bless their frozen little hands for working in such adverse conditions.

I am grateful to be warm and energized during this sub-freezing snow and ice storm. Now that I am done playing on my PC, it is time for more reading and movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment