being able to pick-up where I left off

Prior to recovery, I would start tasks that were not completed. There would be a strong sense of embarrassment, shame and guilt that precluded my simply completing the task later.

Thanks to the miracle of becoming a much more mature and functional adult as a part of my recovery process, I am now able to continue projects from where I last left them. That is a lot more effective than how it used to be.

My gratitude blog is a great example. I worked on this diligently for eleven months last year and was accomplished my goal of 260 posts for 2011. Then I took a month off. The degradation in my attitude and self-esteem was readily detected yet that was not enough to get me to start writing again.

I had committed to starting again in 2012. It is a pleasant surprise to actually meet that commitment with this being my 4th post of the new year and it is only Wednesday night. All too often, my attitude towards a task would be manana (tomorrow).

My other goals for the year are eating a better diet with less red meat & sugar and to exercise 3x/week. Changing my diet is off to a good start. I was at the grocery store today and did not buy any red meat nor sugary snack. Progress. Still working on the exercise aspect, but I am comfortable with being able to make partial progress. That is much better than being stuck in an all-or-none mode that would lead to failure since I am not doing the exercise component perfectly.

I am grateful for the progress and maturity of being able to pick up where I left off from and to also be okay with partial perfection!

1 comment: