helping a friend with a snowy ride

My friend George locked his car keys in the trunk of his car when he got to work this morning. He called asking for a ride home to get a spare set of keys. I suggested having a mobile locksmith open his trunk knowing full well that he would not go for the practical idea of paying $75 while continuing to work at $300/hour instead preferring instead to drive around in the snow for two hours at $0/hour to get his spare key from home.

I am a better friend than I used to be. Knowing that he wanted a ride badly enough to ask me to drive him around on a day when snow blanketed the landscape, I agreed to give him a ride. The roads were wet with only one short patch of ice on the freeway and no ice/slush/snow on the steep hill leading up to George's house, the drive went well. It was kind of fun driving around in a winter wonderland. I have not driven in the snow in years. A big concern was coming up the driveway getting back to my apartment. Fortunately, the maintenance guys had spread rock salt on the tricky parts making for an easy drive up the hill. I am grateful for a safe trip to my snow-driving adventure.

It looks like I will be homebound for a few more days with a light snow predicted for today and the heaviest snow in years predicted for tomorrow.

I am grateful for the unlimited entertainment provided by my PCs, the web and tens of thousands of free books to read via my Kindle. It is also good to be on the local hospital power grid. My power has not gone out for an hour total since I moved here 9 years ago. Unlimited electricity in a storm is a wonderful sense of security and warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment