functional independence

Most of the time when I start writing my gratitude blog I already have a topic or a title to help get me going. There was a minute of writer's block getting choosing a topic as I thought back through a couple of the good moments of my day and discarded them as insufficient for a post. After visiting my mother yesterday at a chronic care facility where she is rehabbing from her knee replacement surgery along with a few emails between my sister and the lawyer that is doing the Guardianship process for us, I came up with the topic of being grateful for my functional independence.

My mother has dementia, presumably from Alzheimer's, that has progressed considerably in the last year. IMHO, she is no longer able to make good decisions when it comes to making choices for health and financial care. Back in the day when I was using, there were predatory addicts that would consume, con or steal any possible resources in order to feed their habit.

The people helping my mother have to be a bit more restrained in their approach than predatory addicts, but in the end they would take everything she had under the guise of "helping" her.

I am grateful for my financial, emotional and housing independence that I have achieved as a result of my recovery and help from many others. I could not have done it on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment