Computer Skills

I bought an Intel NUC (next unit of computing) last week to use as a Home Theater PC (HTPC).  It is a powerful PC in a 4x4x2 inch cube that came with no operating system. 

I got a Thunderbolt/DP cable to plug it into my TV.   That did not work.  I dug around my cable stash and found a mini-HDMI cable.  That worked.  Turns out that the NUC needs an OS and and software drivers to get the Thunderbolt port working.   HDMI is working fine.

I have wi-fi from my front room to my bedroom.  That makes for a working internet connection but is way too slow.   I had a brand new Ethernet cable that I could not get to work.  Turned out the cable was bad.   Never had a new cable fail on me before. That sucked.   Bought another cable off Amazon that will be here in two days.

I have a solid training in TCP/IP networking skills that I rarely use beyond power-cycle the hardware or plug this into that.


I am grateful for the computer skills to turn a barebones computer into a high-speed HTPC server. Years of academic and vocational college really comes in handy sometimes—like when I want to watch TV faster!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment