Calendars

One of my anecdotal definitions of time is that it is the measure of increasing entropy in the Universe.  Don’t really have a source for that beyond the 2nd law of thermodynamics.  Entropy increases and time goes by.

I have a decent Android smart phone.   Most of my friends with smart phones do their calendars on them.   I still carry a big fat DayRunner planner/wallet since I already always have a backpack with my wheelchair for phone, gloves, accessories and so on.

My current DayRunner is wearing out.   It came with a cell phone pocket that was great for small old school cell phones.   That pocket doesn’t work for smart phones.   I have a new DayRunner  that has been in a drawer for a couple of years.  It will likely be my last DayRunner to use as a wallet/calendar.   They last about 5 years depending on how beat-up they are before I stop using them.

Calendars are amazing things.  It never occurred to me to predict when the next lunar or solar eclipse was coming.  Allegedly Thales of Miletus predicted the solar eclipse of May 28, 585 BC.  That is questionably.  The Chinese were predicting eclipses by 8 BC using the 135 month period.  I am in awe of their observational and deductive skills. 


I am grateful for calendars to keep track of my appointments and for the very concept of quantifying the measurement of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment