Becoming A Better Role Model



I have helped my roommate go from active heroin and crack addiction to getting on methadone to being in her 3rd quarter of college in the last 37 months.   That is easily the best thing I have ever done to help another person in my life.

We have been meeting with two other couples in 12-step recovery at the local hang-out mall for two years.  They have helped us get along and work through many of the issues in our lives and relationships.

Now it seems that it is time to bring my roommate along with me to lunch with my friend Sandy.  Sandy and I have been meeting on a regular basis for almost a decade.   That is the best long-term most consistent friendship in my life.  

I am an introvert that likes to isolate.   My roommate can make me look positively gregarious with her isolation skills.  She has decent people skills in that she makes conversation with eye contact and such.  

Three years ago when asked what she was thinking or feeling, she would reply with “what does it matter?”   She still answers a question with a question about half the time, which might then segue into a conversation.  The other half the time she responds more directly.

It would be hubris for me to say or think “you need to do xyz…” for another person.   I do believe and research proves that for the vast majority of us, relationships are the most important part of living a quality life.

I am doing a better job with my relationships to make my life better and as a way to best help my roommate.


I am grateful for the quality relationships in my life today for being able to be of service to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment