The King County Library System - KCLS

Early childhood memories include reading every book on Greek, Roman and Norse religion in my elementary school when I was by 4th grade and getting books from the Auburn public library. The Auburn Public Library was incorporated into the King County Library system decades ago. 

 I have always loved reading throughout my life. I read books once and put them down until I have forgotten most of the book. If they are still around, I will read the ones I like again. My book collection has always been small-ish. Books are expensive, heavy and take up space when accumulating a collection.


 My preferred book source is the library. There is a large central library a mile away and an excellent small satellite library at my favorite local mall. I can order books online and pick them up at the library when my turn comes up. For new popular books, the wait can be months. That is not a problem for me. There are 500,000 other books to read at the library while waiting for reserved books. 


 While looking for books on gratitude, the pickings were slim at the library. The KCLS has access to two online libraries featuring both audio and text ebooks. After some modest difficulty, I have downloaded audio ebooks to my PC. I have worked my way through 2.5 books on gratitude. One book was not for me due to writing and the narrator. The other two are good books and with good narration. 


 Naturally once I found this gold mine of easily accessed books, I started listening to audio books. While writing this post, I am listening to The Demon in the Freezer: A True Story. The books is about deadly Smallpox infections. 


 Much of last year, I anticipated buying an Android version of an iPad. My timeline was a bit optimistic for when a deluge of tablets will hit the stores. My original wish was for an e-reader like a Kindle. Feature creep has expanded the scope of my wish-list to more nearly seeking a miniaturized laptop sans keyboard. 


 My initial desire for an e-reader was to turn ebooks into large print books so I could read without my glasses. Now it will be more like 24/7 access to the internet and books. I have free access to thousands of sci-fi ebooks for free. When I get my ereader, it will be the biggest reading fest in my life! Guess I know what I am getting for my birthday! 


 We enjoy a gloriously rich world of literature from any PC on the web that would have shamed the fabled Library of Alexandria. For all that, I am grateful, and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment