Grateful for a homegroup…


After several days of spending time home alone, I made it to a meeting today.  My 'home group' meets on Sunday nights at a local church.  We have a nice room with plenty of parking, nice bathrooms and a good size kitchen area in a great location in downtown Bellevue.

I am grateful for meetings in general and for my home group in particular.  It is a one hour meeting focused on studying the 12 steps in order 1-12, 1-12 and so on.  I have been going there for 6 years and so have been through the steps with the group 25 times.   While I like arcane topics as much as the next ADD philosopher, it is very good to remind myself what the program is about and how it works.  We recently started studying a tradition one night each month.

Things I like about the others in my home group is how we do a good job of keeping our sharing short so that usually everybody can share, that out of the 15+ regular attendees a dozen of us have been going to that meeting for 5-8 years.   That has the effect of making it 'our' meeting.  We don't talk about it much, but it is an extremely service oriented meeting well represented at the District level and with lots of interaction between members on other days.  The ladies have a veritable hiking club.  The guys have a high level of cross-pollinated sponsorship.  The average length of recovery is well into double-digits.

I get a sense of safety, security and love when I am at that meeting.  I know I won't have to listen to someone blather on about their drunkalog due to how focused we are on our singleness of purpose.  We are there to work a program of recovery to the best of our ability.  I love the simplicity of that concept.  Left to my own best thinking, it would be more complex and completely unworkable.  It is good to have people much smarter than me teach me by example how to simplify  and live life like Thoreau.

No comments:

Post a Comment