Grateful for Choices

I am still working on the page formatting of my blog. I write the blog in MS Word 2007 and then hit the Publish button. Blogspot converts the format a bit to add space between paragraphs and deletes leading spaces. Tabs are working okay. I am grateful for having the tech skills to work this out. If I cared more about minor formatting issues, I could go back and make every post look the same. Today I will try using a hanging indent instead of a tab for each paragraph.

As a kid growing up on a farm 8 miles out of town, running errands was limited to tasks that truly needed to be done. There was no going down to the corner store to buy a piece of candy. One of the favorite things about my apartment is how conveniently located it is near the places I need to go. After going to a meeting today, I was headed home and turned off the main road (NE 8th) before I remembered that I needed to pick up my medications for the month. My premature turn could not have added an extra minute to the trip as I drove through a less-direct route to the pharmacy.

After getting my meds, I walked across the street to the barber for a haircut. The stylist finished with her customer, collected her fee and was ready to cut my hair before I had even found a worthy article to read in a magazine. Apparently Time magazine no longer has an editorial on the back page.

I had lived next to the pharmacy for 3 years. 6 of the 8 stores in the barbershop strip mall had changed in the last 7 years. Fortunately, Greg's Greenlake Cycle only moved a block away to a new narrow 3-story building with an elevator. It is strange but cost-effective to have a 3 story bike shop in downtown Bellevue. I am glad they are still around, Greg's does a great job of truing the spokes on my wheelchair wheels. The wheelchair vendor won't even try to fix them.

Dinner was a New York steak with garlic bread and a salad. It was delicious.

The mail today was two more books on gratitude and a Netflix DVD. That is way better than the usual slew of junk mail. The mail gets delivered right to my door—which is vastly more convenient than trying to get my mail out of the apartment complex mailbox at the bottom of the hill.

Discerning readers will notice that I am rambling on a bit here. As I practice being more grateful by reflecting and journaling on gratitude, I find many little things in my life that help make my life more pleasant. A friend called this afternoon, she started a gratitude blog http://shawnabloggityblog.blogspot.com/.

Gratitude is infectious. Talking with Leslee on Sunday night while waiting for my car to warm up, she told me about her experience discussing gratitude with her friend & hiking companion Christine. Christine has some chronic health issues and found that she was able to mitigate the impact of them with gratitude. Christine shared her success with another friend that has cancer for the second time. Her friend told Christine who told Leslee who told me how gratitude was able to help her. It was a nice story of having a positive impact on the lives of others who I have not even met. One book I am reading mentioned 'ripples' of gratitude going 3 people deep like from me to Leslee to Christine being typical. In only the first month of my gratitude focus, the ripples have gone at least 4 people deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment