Grateful for my program of recovery

Twelve years ago, I went to a 3-week in-patient rehab facility on May 1st, 1999. I have slightly less than six years of continuous sobriety. Sometimes I refer to it as 11.5 years minus a week.

I have a friend that is dying from alcoholism. It is sad & tragic to watch her try to find an easier softer way than simply getting a sponsor and working the 12 steps. She knows she has a problem and that her body is shutting down from substance abuse. Her problem appears to be fear of dealing with suppressed pain and having to get enough humility to learn how to live life as a functional adult in our society. It might be better to have progressed to fear instead of being stuck on denial. I don't know. Either way, it is good that I am not in that position.

A big part of my recovery is letting go of my self-pity in thinking my situation is so much worse than what other people have. While reflecting on my friend's situation yesterday, I realized I would not trade my life as an overweight paraplegic for her life as a dying late-stage alcoholic.

I am grateful for my life, my sobriety and the progress I have made in my recovery. It is good to be at peace with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment