Overcoming Fear and Learning to Love Myself

In working my 12-step program over the years, I created a thought-experiment about god.  I would go through a given day turning over my worries to my higher power (HP) while continuing to take action by doing the next indicated thing versus other days when I would do all my own worrying being paralyzed by fear while doing a limited amount (at best) of right action.  Invariably my days went better when I acted with faith in an HP while doing the footwork.  Never once did a worrying day work out better for me.

One friend has suggested that I need a bigger god.  Since I percieve my HP at the great spirit that moves through all things, that seems like a plenty powerful enough HP for my needs.   What I clearly do need is a better connection with my HP.  It is as if I have been getting my spiritual connection from an oxygen tank hose used by people with emphysema.   That leads to my running low on spiritual connectivity.

I am working on a new connection with my HP that is more like swimming in a warm tropical reef with buoyant calm waters filled with much beauty.  I will be safe and protected with little danger and much to enjoy as I swim in my HP’s love for me.

One of my great shortcomings is not loving myself.  With greater faith and trust in my HP, I will do a better job of loving myself.  That will manifest itself with improved self-care, less self-destructive behavior and greater love for my fellow man.

I am grateful for my improving connection with a higher power of my understanding basking in his love for me while enjoying a great life to the reasonable best of my abilities.

                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment