A Midweek Walk at Bell Square

Leslee and I had a half-dozen years of walking around Bell Square before our Sunday night meeting for maybe 40 times/year. That has fallen off tremendously in the last two years due to my relapse, giving Lea rides to the meetings and now Leslee driving Ginny to the meeting.

We met at the mall for a walk tonight.  It was wonderfully pleasant to be walking around a relatively empty Bell Square.  We had a lot of catching up to do.  Leslee volunteers on the 4th Thursday of the month to help serve food at the Union Gospel Mission.   Turns out that is graduation night for men going through a year-long cook training program.  She said it is great to watch them put a little pomp & circumstance into recognizing their successful completion of the training program.

It is clear that I need to find a project/mission//outlook/volunteer opportunity to not merely participate in, but become emotionally committed to that involves working directly with others.  It is tempting to do computer stuff but that would be more escapism that I am already doing too much off.  I need to interact more with others in a one-on-one environment.


I am grateful for the convenient location of Bell Square a mile from my home, my fantastic friendship with Leslee, the clarity of knowing I need to work with others and for having gone swimming today.

No comments:

Post a Comment