gaining perspective from others

Took a new friend, Della, out to lunch today at the 5 Guys burger franchise in Canyon Park. Acquaintances have claimed their burgers to be the best in the land. I thought I would see for myself. The burgers were good. Prices were a bit stiff for fast food. $25 for 2 bacon cheeseburgers with fries and a pop. Their schtick is that the burgers are meat and a bun with all condiments and upgrades ordered individually. It was nice, but I can get an incredible burger from the John Howie steakhouse less than a mile away during happy hour for the same price. Opinions vary…

Della was raised in a family of devout Jehovah's Witness. I had to come home to look that up on Wikipedia. Being a JW means no Christmas, birthday parties or other celebrations. She is 34 years old and never had a birthday party. I took her out for a burger and a mini-shopping spree for toiletries, shampoo and underwear at Wal-Mart in Lynnwood. That was ranked as one of her better birthday celebrations—ever.

My wheelchair vendor/mechanic moved from a mile down the street to Lynnwood. I am grateful to have workmen's compensation disability insurance that covers the cost of my wheelchair parts. Two fancy bicycle-like tires cost at least $100 since they are made out of a gum rubber that does not like black skid marks on the floor like a bicycle tire would.

It was a blustery spring day in Seattle today. The snow level was at about 500 feet in elevation, so there was snow on the local hills in Bellevue. Got to drive through a snow-squall for ten minutes are our way through the Seattle. It felt good to know that the snow would not stick around and mess up the roads & traffic.

Talked with another lady that is still out there using. She was trying to get money working as a street-walker to buy drugs when she called me. I offered to help her if she wanted to stay clean. She choose to stay outside in the freezing rain. She claims to be trying to get sober to have custody of her kids. Her definition of sober includes using methadone which she gets from a clinic 6 days a week. I don't know anybody on the methadone maintenance program that is really doing well. That phone conversation made me very grateful to be lying in my giant bed with my comforter, cats, Kindle and TV remote.

Talking with others that in are the midst of difficult challenges helps me to be more grateful for what I have. I am grateful for what I have today.

No comments:

Post a Comment