dinner with Dan at Mona's Bistro

I usually take Dan out to lunch once a month. Tonight we went out for an early dinner at Mona's Bistro. The dinner was delicious. I told the waitress to surprise me. I got lamb sliders for an appetizer, arugula salad, braised short ribs with garlic mashed potatoes and a lemon custard dessert. The short ribs were more like large tender chunks of pot roast. Not something I would usually order. It was yummy comfort food.

Dan was not doing so well. He got dentures six-ish months ago and they were hurting him tonight. Being hungry, not being able to eat and being in pain exacerbated his mental health issues that lead to negative thinking. That gets a vicious downward cycle started. If my teeth hurt when I chew, I would not order steak. Dan could not eat much of his ribeye and took most of it home with him. He was took several mild valium-like muscle relaxants today. I was less than thrilled when he explained about the pills after he ordered a beer.

He was better off for having got out of his apartment when I took him home. That was as much help as I could do for today.

I am grateful for the progress I have made in being able to be a better friend to others and to not be nearly as self-destructive towards my relationships and myself as I used to be. I got to accept Dan as he was and respond with a focus on the positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment