letting go of my defects of character

I chaired a 6th Step meeting last night on being entirely ready to let go of current defects of character. It was an interesting discussion/meeting. Pulled an article on the 6th Step from the October 1987 official journal archives for a short reading to get us started.

There was an implicit assumption made in the discussion in that none of us are perfect and we all have defects of character that we currently need to let go of. Since nobody had a halo at the meeting, that deemed a valid assumption.

From How it Works "No one among us has been able to maintain anything like perfect adherence to these principles. We are not saints. The point is, that we are willing to grow along spiritual lines. The principles we have set down are guides to progress. We claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection."

It is foreign territory for me to identify a major defect in relatively quick time and make the decision to change my behavior as a way of letting go of said defect. In this instance there was a bit of the ubiquitous desire to balk. My ever improving contact with my higher power empowered me with courage and faith to do the next indicated thing of moving on.

I am grateful for the improved rate and skills for letting go of my defects of character and for my increasing spirituality.

No comments:

Post a Comment