Inflatable tires

The last time I bought tires for my car, I splurged on a set of 4 Michelin premium tires. I have had the tires for a year and like them. They do what tires are supposed to do—stick to the road and not go flat. Last night on the way home from a short trip to downtown Bellevue, I could hear something clicking and thought that maybe a rock got stuck in the tread.

I forgot about it until running an errand today and hearing the clicking again. When I stopped and checked to see what the problem was, I found a bolt firmly imbedded in the tread of my right front tire. So far the tire is holding air. I will take it to the shop tomorrow and hope that the bolt can be safely removed without having to buy another tire.

My gratitude for things in my life goes up considerably when there is a problem and I get wistful about the good old days before there was a problem. I get flat tires 3-4 times a year, so this is not a unusual event in my life. Usually, the flats are on my wheelchair since I run those tires to the bitter end until they go flat, or cord is showing and the mate to a matched pair has gone flat.

I keep a couple of spare tires around to replace the flats on me wheelchair. That takes about 15 minutes from start to finish with an inflated tire. Fixing the tire on my car will take more time, but perhaps less effort since the guys are the tire shop will have to fix this problem.

Pneumatic tires literally make my life go a lot smoother than solid tires. There is a downside to inflated devices in that they can readily become deflated. Overall, it is well worth the effort for the smooth ride I get from inflated tires.

I am grateful for inflated tires and the modern rubber compounds used to create them.

No comments:

Post a Comment