A Victory Lap

My roommate went to lunch with her ex-husband, son and daughter yesterday.   It was the first real interaction with her daughter in 5 years.  It went really well with love, joy, laughter and an invitation to spend more time with her daughter over Memorial Day weekend at her home in rural Snohomish County.

I did my best to be supportive Sunday morning and for the preceding week.   It was an emotionally loaded positive event—which is where we alcoholics are highly prone to self-destructive behavior.  It was new behavior for us to not blow-up before or after the event.

We celebrated by taking a “victory lap” with those that had been of vital importance to us along the way. 

Sandy was my first friend to meet Lea, or at least see some woman nodding out in my car while we went to lunch 3 years ago.   We each wrote a nice note on a thank you card and give it to Sandy while having lunch with her today.   It was glorious to get to celebrate that success with her.  No way I could have helped Lea like I have without Sandy’a loving support while I vented all kinds of frustration over the years.

Lea called Margie before meeting her family and then we met them at a meeting afterwards to review the experience (aka bookending).   It was a very successful moment for all of us.   We would not have made it without Margie and Charlie’s support along the way.   We have been meeting every week for over a year in a sort of family or group sponsorship along with help from Mike and Diana.   We needed all the help we could get in how to do relationships in sobriety.

Lots of other people helped us along the way.  Karen, Leslee and Greg definitely get a shout-out.   Bill had no problem being amused by my weekly dramas.   Thank you all very much.   Lea’s daughter doesn’t even know you exist, yet you changed her life for the better by helping me help Lea get recovery.

I am grateful for all the positive, loving, supportive role models in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment