visiting my mother after knee replacement surgery

My had knee replacement surgery earlier this month. She was 84 on her birthday last week. I went to see her today and she did not know who I was until I explained my name and our relationship to her. She has dementia and was doped-up on an unknown quantity of pain medication. It was not immediately what condition was affecting her responses. I have learned from 12-step programs to not try to figure out how intoxicated others are. It is not my duck.

My mother could not remember my name, but she did remember that my sister and I have retained a lawyer to get her a court-appointed guardian ad litem. My mother does not trust my sister nor I to look out for her best interests in any way, shape or form. She thinks we are the kind of people that want to take all her money from her. I interpret that projection not as condemnation of us as being bad kids, but as her own considerable doubt in her parenting skills. Trying to reason with my mother in her demented condition would be a painfully counterproductive process.

I am incredibly grateful that we retained a family law attorney to do the guardian ad litem process on our behalf for our mother. I am also grateful that the GAL hearing is scheduled for next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment