two great football games and a trip out of the apartment

two great football games and a trip out of the apartment

After being home for 9 days straight with only one trip around time, I passed on a chance for a walk with Leslee and watched even more TV today. Even for me, that seemed like a strange choice.

I rarely watch broadcast TV choosing to instead watch commercial-free torrents of shows. Today I watched two great football games for the AFC & NFC championships to determine which teams play the Superbowl in two weeks.

Both games were decided by 3 points. New England won with a fieldgoal 2 seconds before the game ended and the NY Giants won in overtime with a fieldgoal. I don’t watch much football. The college bowl games three weeks ago were more football than I had watched in the previous four years. The professional players are so big, fast, talented and trained it is amazing. It seemed like there was a time warp going on while they were playing.

The New England quarterback, Tom Brady, would get the ball from the center, step back two quick steps, throw the ball to a reciever that quickly sprinted ten yards downfield and turned around to create 6 inches of space between himself and the defensive player. The announcers described the receiver as being "wide open". It was an incredibly fast game. Those big fat 320+ lb lineman could probably beat most high school sprinters. Amazingly athletic.

The second game was a tie with 5 minutes to go, but I knew that I needed a meeting a LOT more than I needed to watch the end of the game. I brushed a little slush off the roof of my car and went to the meeting. When going to a meeting after having not been for awhile (a week or more), it is like being a baseball sliding into home plate—safe!

A couple of ladies brought treats and we had a great meeting on the 4th step—writing a searching and fearless moral inventory. As noted by the meeting chair, that is the first tangible proof of our recovery where we take action.

After the meeting I came home with some delicious leftover cake. After dumping all the trash that had accumulated in the last 10 days, I reflected on old behavior. I was being funny (sarcastic) about Margie's vegan cookies. I need to not spend so much time home alone in the future.

I am grateful to have endured a week-long snow & ice storm having stayed warm and dry with no untoward consequences, for great football games and for a wonderful 12-step homegroup.

No comments:

Post a Comment