Literacy and a love of reading

I have loved reading since I was a child. I am sure that I have spent more of my leisure/recreational time reading than any other activity.

Thanks to the miracle of the internet, I am blessed with instant access to more free books than ever contained in the fabled Library of Alexandria. For printed books, I am a five-minute drive to the large Bellevue main branch of the King County Library System. The vast majority of my library visits are at the small community library in Crossroads Mall. When I reserve books from the KCLS, I pick them up at Crossroads.

I bought my first Kindle book this weekend. Pricing is clearly not based on costs, but on market demand. The book I wanted was listed for $9.99, 12.98 and $13.99 respectively for paperback, hardcover and digital editions on Amazon.com.

I have had my Kindle for two months. I prefer it to paperback and hardcover editions. It is a toss-up between the Kindle and large-print editions—which I can read without wearing my eyeglasses. The Kindle is far more convenient size-wise since one small device can hold 1000+ books.

I am grateful for my literacy, love of reading and access to copious quantities of quality reading material.

No comments:

Post a Comment