Wright Brothers

My friend Charlie went to the National Air and Space museum at the Smithsonian last weekend.  When asked what was most impressive, he said the Wright brothers airplane with the quality of workmanship on building the frame and stitching on the wing fabric.  I did not realize that it was done with such a high quality.  I incorrectly assumed it was a couple guys with a bicycle shop that slapped some fabric on a wooden frame.  my favorite Wright brothers’  statistic was that their propeller was a remarkable 66% efficiency.  Today’s best wood propellers top out at 85%.


I am grateful for all the modern miracles resulting from flying.  Jet planes, float planes, helicopters, and rockets make the world a much smaller place.   Orville and Wilbur made the world a much better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment