Being Nicer to Myself and Others

Last week I completed 21 days of being kinder via daily email suggestions from http://www.kindspring.org.  Those activities changed my mindset enabling me to be a kinder more generous and thus happier person.  Today I bought some Halloween costume accessories for three people with no income so they could dress up for a Halloween dance on Friday.  I got to do it in a way that was “right-sized” so I showed up in a kindly way and not the sarcastic ass or big-shot pretender as I have been in similar past situations.  It felt good for all of us.

I have a hard time with holidays.   They are much more pleasant than how they used to be, but there is a chasm between what “should be” and what is for reasons such as not spending any time with blood relatives on holidays.  Now I have an adopted family in recovery.  We nearly always get along and time with them is fantastically better than mass self-pity over the loss of what never was.


I am grateful to the many others that have been nice to me, those that showed and taught me how to be nice and the people I am able to help today.  It is good to be able to be the right-sized kind person I always wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment