Late in the day of Christmas Eve


Had lunch with Sandy at the Olive Garden today.  She only worked 7.75 hours today and so was done by 1 PM (definite overacheiver!).  We have a great friendship and I am grateful to have her in my life.  She has to go to about a dozen family Xmas events with her bf.  I went to the Alano Club tonight.  Vastly different experiences—I am sure of that.

Two friends in early recovery could not handle the holidays without using.  My friend Merri B describes the holidays as "the mean season".  I got two calls on my home phone from my mother today while at lunch.  I did not return those calls.  It is too painful to interact with her and my recovery is too fragile.

I went to two meetings tonight, gave Greg a ride home to Issaquah and talked with his friend Kyle about a positive psychology program he is participating in at Stanford.  It has changed his life in a vastly better way and he is really into it.  The program is for survivors of traumatic events.  Kyle barely survived a virulent form of cancer.  Kyle described his experience as "being rocketed into the 4th dimension."

It is good to have old and new friends that are making positive steps in their lives.  I am grateful for the role models.

1 comment: