My Sobriety

After years of alcohol and substance abuse problems, I went to a rehab facility and was able to stay sober for a large part of the last twelve years. My sobriety is hands-down the most important attribute (“possession”?) in my life. I am extraordinarily grateful for having the necessary gifts (miracles) that allow and enable me to stay sober.

I volunteer, service work in 12-step parlance, with a number of people whose lives have been tragically derailed by alcohol and substance abuse. Statistically, most of them will never obtain long-term sobriety. That is a needless tragedy for all of us and especially for them.

Working with those that are less fortunate helps me have a useful life. Service work is also is incredibly powerful in reinforcing the need and value for my sobriety. That keeps me from taking sobriety for granted. Focusing on being grateful is built on the foundation of my sobriety.

No comments:

Post a Comment