Insulation…


The winter weather took a turn for the colder going from a low of about 40°F down to a low 20°.  The temperature mostly stayed below freezing for the last week.   My apartment stays comfortably warm 24x7 for less than $140/month.   That is due to being well insulated with double-pane windows and being surrounded on the top, left and back walls by other apartments.  My floor is concrete above an open air parking garage.

It is really important to me that it stay warm in my apartment all the time.   One major side-effect of my paralysis is that the circulation in my legs is very poor.  Having a warm bed to get into at night really helps warm up my legs.  If my bed was cold, I would have more health problems during the winter.

The apartment comes with an electric furnace (built-in heater with a noisy fan) that I don't like.  I use the baseboard heater in my bedroom and a small electric portable heater by my computer desk in the living room.  That is a quiet way to heat with a constant temperature instead of a noisy device going on and off throughout the day and night.  It is probably a little more expensive to use the portable heater.  The portable heater is definitely a lot more pleasant than my electric furnace.

I am grateful for my apartment that stays warm on even the coldest of winter days.  A bonus is that it rarely gets hot in the summertime—thanks to the miracle of modern insulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment