Depression

I have had chronic depression since at least my early teens.  Staying sober, going to meetings, studying positive psychology, swimming, and years of therapy has greatly improved my emotional well-being. 

Nonetheless, depression can still get the best of me.  I could not get out of bed for my usual morning meeting.   In part, this was due an emotional hangover from yesterday’s using thoughts.  A big reason why I have a daily routine is to make sure I do those activities that are good for me and don’t get stuck at home isolating with my own best thinking.  Fortunately I had plans for lunch in Woodinville with my friend Mark.  At least I made it out of the apartment today for a couple hours.

I am grateful my depression is not nearly as bad as it used to be and for the vastly improved toolset I have for dealing with it today.  It will be better tomorrow.  I will go to my meeting and then for a swim.  After that, we will start getting ready for a early Thanksgiving turkey dinner this Saturday.  Having a plan helps a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment