Overcoming Loneliness

“Almost without exception, alcoholics are tortured by loneliness. Even before our drinking got bad and people began to cut us off, nearly all of us suffered the feeling that we didn't quite belong.  As Bill Sees It, p. 90

The agonies and the void that I often felt inside occur less and less frequently in my life today. I have learned to cope with solitude. It is only when I am alone and calm that I am able to communicate with God, for He cannot reach me when I am in turmoil. It is good to maintain contact with God at all times, but it is absolutely essential that, when everything seems to go wrong, I maintain that con-tact through prayer and meditation.”   From the book Daily Reflections

I lived by myself for most of my adult life.  Now I have two roommates and we do sober/recovery activities together every day of the week. It is a lot more social and less isolating than how it used to be.  Plus, my spiritual experiences resulted in my not feeling alone and isolated whether by myself or even lonelier in a crowd.

I am grateful for my fantastically enhanced relationships over the last year.  It was 52 weeks ago tomorrow on Monday, November 19th that I realized while talking with Sandy that relationships are the most important thing in my life.  The last year has been the best year of relationships in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment