Letting Go of Self-Righteous Anger

The topic for our morning meeting was letting go of impatience.  My impatience generally disguises itself as self-righteous anger (SRA) in the form of “they are not doing it right”.  Being stuck behind cars driving slower than the speed limit 3-abreast down a 3-lane freeway lights up my SRA. 

I get annoyed by their ignorance, deliberate obtuseness and selfishness.  It is not that I am in a hurry or am late.  I allow myself to be annoyed by stupid drivers in a variety of forms.   I hate tail-gating the car in front of me.   Stuck behind weird driving causes others to then also drive erratically which takes the form of cutting me off.  I then have to take change my following distance to avoid being repeatedly cutoff or else have cars speed in front of me only to hit their brakes because they are still stuck behind the same selfish motorists—only now they are one car closer to being where they want to go.

My SRA is not limited to driving situations.  That was just an example that did not involve me being egregiously in the wrong.  My defects of character consisting of varying combinations of the 7 deadly sins (wrathgreedslothpridelustenvy, and gluttony) serve to fuel my anger.  Greed and pride probably provide the most fuel. 

Fear is the real source of all my fuel. Simplistically, there are two kinds of fear: fear of not getting what I want and fear of losing something I already have.  Being afraid of not getting “my share” or “my turn”.  I don’t know if it is greed, pride or gluttony that trigger my SRA per the freeway example and am not sure it matters beyond intellectual naval gazing.

I do know as I become more spiritually fit, I have fewer and shorter bouts of SRA that are more often immediately followed by a prompt admission of wrong-doing on my part when possible.


I am grateful to enjoy my enhanced spirituality and for spending less time in self-righteous anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment