A Jumble of Psychosocial Good Things


I am happier today than I have been for the vast majority of my life.  I have done thousands of hours of work on my emotional chaos to get to this serene state of mind.  Most of that time was spent going to meetings, working with others, reading, and psychotherapy. 

It is a huge success that most alcoholics like me never come close to achieving.  They are simply not willing to do the work.  It is a huge leap of faith to believe that the payout will be worth the effort—no matter how much heinous pain they are in when not doing the work.  A lifetime of living in fear is not easily overcome.

Thanks to working with others, I get to see miracles happen right before my eyes.  Lea started taking methadone a month ago.  She has 26 days of not using street drugs, has been going to a meeting everyday and is doing great.  Greg has 19 days and wentto two full meetings on Friday and Saturday.  He is weeks ahead of his typical relapse/recovery timeline where it takes him at least a month to get back to meetings.  Michelle has 25 days clean and will be getting out of rehab next Saturday.  

I have found a sense of camaraderie, self-esteem and social status as we all work together to make a better life for ourselves and others.

I am grateful for my happiness, serenity and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment